Gregory R. Keefe Memorial Scholarship
Study the King of Instruments
The Syracuse chapter of the American Guild of Organists is proud to sponsor Pipe Organ lessons for a student of high school or junior college age (14 – 20 years old) for up to one academic year.
This scholarship is intended to bring new students to the pipe organ. Qualified applicants must have proficiency in piano, but have not yet taken organ lessons. Preference will be given to those who have not yet taken formal organ lessons.
Applications are now being taken for the 2016 – 2017 academic year.
Scholarships will be awarded at the beginning of each semester. Applications are due by August 15th , and December 15th, respectively.
If selected as an organ scholar, it will be your responsibility to engage in regular, quality practice time. In order for you to be prepared for your weekly lessons and to make sure that you are demonstrating sufficient progress in both learning about and playing the organ, we request that you do the following:
- Commit to practicing for at least 1 hour, a minimum of 4 – 5 times a week
- Commit to practicing on an actual organ on most practice days (as opposed to other keyboard instruments)
- Commit to keeping a current practice journal
- Be prepared for all lessons in order to maximize your time with a master teacher
- Attend at least one organ recital/concert during each semester of study
While devoting part of your day to organ practice may sometimes be difficult, making it a part of your daily routine will help to keep it a top priority. It is recommended that you work with your teacher to set practice goals in order to make the most of your practice time.